Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Pages

Dr. Wu's Skin Tips to Feed Your Face



I had the chance to meet Dr. Jessica Wu earlier in the spring, before the Independent Spirit Awards. I even had the benefit of eating the most beautiful and delicious lunch ever, all of which was good for your skin, including an amazing chocolate cake. Not only a noted dermatologist, she's also the author of Feed Your Face, a no-nonsense guide to eating for better skin. I loved the book. Her conversational style and distinctive voice make the book a pleasure to read, which makes her suggested habits easier to add to your lifestyle.



 (An recreation of the actual book under my actual 8th grade pillowcase.)

It actually reminds me a lot of a book I adored as a teen called Girl Talk, by Carol Weston, a book I read over and over. It gave me advice on everything from asking boys out to makeup to getting my period. I swear I used to sleep with that book under my pillow.


Anyway, in Dr. Wu's book, she gives you lots of tips on how to have amazing skin without dropping a fortune on potions. In fact, she even insists you only need three products in your daily routine - a cleanser, a moisturizer with an SPF and a night treatment.

Dr. Wu and I disagree on one thing (of course I'm knowledgeable enough to take on a doctor, right?). She doesn't believe tanning is a really bad idea. I'm going to tell you again. If you aren't wearing an SPF daily to avoid getting a tan, you should not be spending a penny on skincare products to improve your skin. It won't happen until you stop the UVB damage. I should mention that Dr. Wu doesn't think tanning is a good idea, either. She is just trying to be a little friendlier about it than I would be, I suppose. After all, I barely know her and she doesn't want to annoy me already with preachy attitudes about tanning. But you and I are already friends, right? You are used to me annoying you sarcastically and we like each other anyway.

All of that aside, here are her top five tips to Feed Your Face. The whole book is full of further gems and totally worth reading (but I'm not giving away the surprise ending). There are times when I wish I could buy you stuff because I like it so much. (I suppose that's why Oprah gives so much away. That and the sponsorship money she would get). If I was made of money, I would buy you your own copy of this book. I like it that much.

TIP #1
Many people don’t realize this but the condition of your skin has at least 50% to do with the food you eat – Choosing to eat the right foods is as important as choosing the right skin care ingredients.  To keep your skin looking youthful, be sure to have some protein at every meal, since collagen (which keeps your skin firm) and elastic tissue (which helps it bounce back) are both made of protein.  This will also help keep your blood sugar stable, which fights acne, rashes, and wrinkles.

TIP #2
Everyone focuses on what you can't eat, not what you can. You do not need to starve for good skin. For example, EAT PIZZA! Start with whole wheat thin crust, go light on the cheese and load it with tomato sauce and green& yellow veggies. Yum!

TIP #3
Incorporating tomatoes into your diet or preparing foods with tomato paste has been shown to help skin by protecting it from sun burn and sun damage. This is because tomatoes contain a high concentration of lycopene, a strong antioxidant. For best results, the tomatoes need to be cooked or processed.  Also using a product like AVEENO®’s Positively Radiant Moisturizer with Total Soy Complex will assist with Sun Damaged Skin. Over time, the Total Soy complex naturally evens tones, smooths texture and softens skin.

TIP #4
For clear skin, stay away from dairy. Milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, and other dairy products have been linked to acne breakouts. In recent years, research has shown that dairy is inflammatory, which means that it leads to redness, swelling, and pus – all of which can worsen pimples. Try switching to soy milk or almond milk; just make sure you are getting calcium another way. Also using a product like AVEENO®’s SMART ESSENTIALS™ Pore Purifying Facial Wash will restore radiance and rejuvenate the complexion. (I love this facial wash as well. And it smells great and won't break the bank!)

TIP #5
The Omega 3 fatty acids in fish are shown to stimulate blood circulation, benefiting the cardiovascular system. Omega-3s have been linked with prevention and treatment of skin disorders. Also using a product like AVEENO®’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion with its unique natural oatmeal formula helps prevent and protect dry skin.

I'm a brand ambassador for Aveeno, but all opinions are clearly my own.

Subscribe and never miss a thing! Disclosure/Disclaimer Statement. Makeup, beauty, skincare reviews and more! Copyright 2009-2011, Gouldylox Reviews. All Rights Reserved.